DBG Serial Init Problem with MBX based code

Okay, thanks to Gary's help I now appear to have the memory aspects of
eCos working on my board.

I have now run into a new problem with the debug serial channel
initialization. In the mbx code from CVS the fcn
cyg_hal_plf_serial_init_channel() initially gets called from hal_diag_init
during some constructor/initializer code. A little later on, the fcn
cyg_hal_plf_serial_init() in quicc_smc1.c gets called. This function
resets the CPM right before it makes a call to serial_init_channel()
again. The CPM reset wipes almost everything that the initial call to
serial_init_channel set up and due to the fact that serial_init_channel()
has a check so that it can only be run once, the channel is not setup back
up again.

This problem would be easy to "hack" fix. However, I would like some
insight into why this is setup as is (if it should be?) and what a good
fix would entail.

Thanks.