Re: gcc Build problem

    >> I believe thumb-elf is correct for the particular snapshot of
    >> gcc that is recommended on the eCos installation packages, the
    >> 2000-03-13 snapshot that was used for testing. Looking at the
    >> gcc web pages at http://gcc.gnu.org/ I see the following
    >> announcement:
    >>
    >> May 1, 2000
    >>
    >>   Richard Earnshaw of ARM Ltd, and Nick Clifton of Cygnus, a
    >>   Red Hat company, have contributed a new backend for the Arm
    >>   and Thumb processors.
    >>
    >>   The new backend combines code generation for the Arm, the
    >>   Thumb and the StrongArm into one compiler, with the target
    >>   processor and instruction sets being selectable via command
    >>   line switches.
    >>
    >> So I suspect that for gcc snapshots after May 1st you would
    >> want to use arm-thumb-elf instead, and the resulting compiler
    >> would be capable of compiling for both modes. However AFAIK we
    >> have not tested eCos against such snapshots so you may run into
    >> problems.

    Shaun> I must've missed this! The last I heard two seperate
    Shaun> compilers were necessary. arm-elf-gcc and thumb-elf-gcc I
    Shaun> followed the docs at
    Shaun> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/linux-arm-elf.html to
    Shaun> build my arm-elf-gcc compiler. I haven't got around to
    Shaun> playing with any thumb mode stuff yet though. Are there any
    Shaun> docs on how to build the magic armthumb-elf compiler? and
    Shaun> the switches needed to build arm and thumb modules? I'm
    Shaun> using gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release). What's the
    Shaun> recommended snapshot for arm/thumb?

As far as the eCos team is concerned the recommended snapshot for
thumb work is still the 2000-03-13 snapshot, which involves separate
compilers for arm and thumb. AFAIK we have not tested later versions
so we cannot recommend any specific snapshot. Of course you are
welcome to experiment and report your findings, the gcc documentation
should come with all the appropriate installation and usage
instructions.

When we have the time to validate a later version of the compiler for
eCos, we will update the installation pages appropriately.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer