Re: CVS updates announcement ?

    <snip>

    Jifl> It has to be said that the way we are using CVS, the
    Jifl> ecos-cvs list is not very useful. The only use it really has
    Jifl> is letting someone know (by spamming them :)) that another
    Jifl> update has taken place. Although it also tells you what
    Jifl> files are affected, without change information you have no
    Jifl> idea whether it was something that fixed up whitespace or
    Jifl> rewrote the file :-).

    Jifl> I could easily add something to the checkin script that
    Jifl> mails ecos-cvs (or ecos-discuss, but preferably not) when an
    Jifl> update has happened. The cognoscenti on ecos-cvs could
    Jifl> simply filter out the other mail except for this message.

    Jifl> If I added a list of the new/dead/changed files to this
    Jifl> message, perhaps we should even not send the actual cvs
    Jifl> commit info to ecos-cvs at all!

    Jifl> I could even send the diffs of any changed ChangeLogs in a
    Jifl> separate message.

    Jifl> Opinions?

Sounds reasonable - as long as it does not take time away from all the
other things you are meant to be working on :-)

Bear in mind that at some point we may well open up parts of the
public CVS repository to external contributors. At that point the sort
of information provided by the current ecos-cvs list would be more
useful, so we do not want to lose that functionality completely.

Bart Veer // eCos net maintainer