Re: How do you like eCos

Hi Grant,

>We've been using it for about a year now (we've been shipping a
>product that uses eCos for about 4 months).  I've got no
>complaints.  The level of support provided by the mailing list
>is _far_ better than support my colleagues have gotten for
>pSOS.

I'm curious: What specific platform do you use for development, and what is
your target CPU/architecture?

The reason I ask this is because I have one very major gripe with the free
open-source level of support from Red Hat, and that is that there is no
version unification, no known point from which to start, and every time one
hits a problem one has to start debugging it from the ground up.

I'm wondering if I have experienced my usual Murphyesque ill luck and
chosen the one maverick platform (pun intended) in the "supported
platforms" list, but my experience with eCos and its toolchain thus far is
that almost no component has installed/configured/compiled per the
installation instructions, and a big part of the problem is that instead of
providing specific snapshots of known-working versions, the install
instructions refer to nonexistent historical versions.

Point taken about Linux host being less problematic, but I tried both Linux
and Cygwin and had only slightly different results. Also, I don't know
about other embedded engineers, but it is a significant annoyance to me to
have to use anything other than Win9x for development, because most of the
special-purpose hardware we use is DOS-only. It's quite painful to have to
use two PCs instead of one.

One certainly couldn't describe eCOS as a fast track to anything; there are
a dozen different steep learning curves to be climbed before you can even
build the OS, much less try to link your own program.

Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Got any Commodore 16 or VIC-20 hardware, cartridges, tapes?
Visit http://www.larwe.com/vintage/
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/