Re: How do you like eCos

"Lewin A.R.W. Edwards" <larwe@larwe.com> writes:
> ...my experience with eCos and its toolchain thus far is that almost no
> component has installed/configured/compiled per the installation
> instructions, and a big part of the problem is that instead of providing
> specific snapshots of known-working versions, the install instructions
> refer to nonexistent historical versions.

I certainly don't want to have an argument about the quality of the free
distributions or anoncvs, nor of the politics of free software or open
source projects, and I'm definitely not disputing what you say.  I'm also
not the "political officer"^W^W "commercial contact" ;-) here.  Please take
this as a personal aside, not an official Red Hat frontman's comment!

In a nutshell, providing specific snapshots of known-working versions which
we have thoroughly tested and that we continue to test for your specific
platform, is the business side that allows all this stuff's existence in
the first place.  Put another way: we're more responsive to folks with a
support contract - sorry, but that's the way it is.

...which doesn't excuse poor quality in free distributions.  But this list
helps a lot with that, we hope.  And for most people who have climbed that
learning curve, it seems that newer (and maybe unreliable) is better than
more solid but out of date in terms of feature set.  Hence the anoncvs
service.

	- Huge