Re: More RedBoot questions

Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour@redhat.com> writes:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

> >  5) The docs say that you can't load images via serial port
> >     only via Ethernet. If you can run gdb via serial port why
> >     can't you load images via serial port?
>
> The docs are out of date. You can now download using X/Y-modem. Also you
> can use RedBoot's GDB stub to load into RAM, but then you lose control of
> the Redboot prompt. (Although there is a workaround for this - type $k#6b
> directly at the serial port and redboot will restart, but whatever you
> loaded into RAM will be retained - this is not officially supported
> though).
>
> I don't know why we don't support direct loading over the serial port
> though - I'd have thought it would be pretty easy. No time I suppose. Gary?

FAOD, "load images" here means "get a binary image from a file on some
server, straight into RAM, usually in order to program it into flash"

It doesn't mean "load an image to run using GDB in the usual manner"
because of course that is supported by GDB stubs over either serial or
net.

Just in case there was confusion there.

	- Huge