Re: RedBoot porting

I've just started on updating my HAL to be compatible with
RedBoot. I'm modelling my code on the ebsa285 and edb7xxx HALs
(they seem to be fairly similar to each other).

Currently I don't have any GDB stubs in my eCos configuration,
and no code in my hal_diag.c file to generate 'O' packets for
daig output.

I want to add gdb support in my next product -- initially using
gdb stubs in RedBoot with a fallback position of using gdb
stubs built into the eCos app.  The packetizing code in
hal_diag_write_char is still needed if I want to use gdb stubs
built in to the eCos app, right?

I'm still a little fuzzy on how/when the gdb stubs gain
control.  If I build an eCos app with gdb stubs, do the stubs
gain control initially when the app is started, or are they
dormant until a "control-C" is received on the debugging
channel?

I'd like hal_diag_write_char() to not use the packetizing code
unless there's actually a gdb session active. Is there some way
the diag output routine can know?

How do the output routines in RedBoot decide whether to
packetize output?

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com