Re: Really dumb newbie question

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 03:57:32PM +0000, Julian Smart wrote:

> >Just curious: what language is being used?  I've heard a lot of
> >good things about the Python/WxWindows combo..
>
> I'm using C++; the main reasons behind this are that (a) Python
> would introduce another layer of complexity and possible
> configtool support issues; (b) I know C++ so I'll be more
> productive, and (c) since the original configtool was written
> in C++, quite a bit of code can be lifted with minimal
> translation. But yes, a lot of people rave about wxPython.

The other part of RedHat has always been pretty big into
Python*, and I though maybe that had rubbed off on you guys.
Even though most of the Linux boxes probably have Python, many
don't don't have wxPython, so it would introduce another layer
of installation/support hassles.

* IIRC, the RH Linux installers were originally written in
  Python, rpm was originally in Python, some of the system
  configuration tools were in Python.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com