Re: how to build eCos tools for Win32

    Oliver> Hi,
    Oliver> I'm going to join the eCos community.
    Oliver> According the web pages it is necessary to
    Oliver> build the tools for Win32 by means of Cygwin.

    Oliver> Is it really necessary or would it be
    Oliver> possible to do it by Mingw32?

    Oliver> Thanks in advance

It may or may not be possible to build a cross-compiler etc. linked
against mingw rather than cygwin. I am not aware of anybody who has
tried this recently, for good reasons. First, you will have to install
cygwin to build the tools even if those built tools are linked against
mingw: building the tools means running configure shell scripts and
the like, so you must have the appropriate tools in place. Second, the
makefiles generated by the eCos configuration system almost certainly
have dependencies on cygwin, e.g. they may invoke the cross-compiler
with cygwin pathnames.

I would strongly recommend against going the mingw route if at all
possible.

Bart