From: Grant Edwards [mailto:grante@visi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 10:31 AM
To: Pamulapati, Indrasena (CTS)
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Suitability of eCos

On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 03:19:17PM +0530, Pamulapati, Indrasena (CTS) wrote:

> What u say is right. As we decrease the tick duration the
> efficiency of the OS comes down because of the overhead
> involved in processing the tick.
>
> But my application requires tick duration as low as a
> 100microseconds. I need to address such low time resolutions.

That may not mean that you have to have an OS tick that small.
If your critical tasks are driven by interrupts, then the
length of the OS tick isn't particulary important -- it's
driven more by the resolution needed on things like the
timeouts you want when waiting for an event that doesn't
happen.

> I feel there should be some parameters of rtos's that have to
> be considered with reference to the application we are building
> before deciding the OS.

Of course there are.  But you are the only one who knows what
the most important factors are.  If you tell us what those
factors are, perhaps we can tell you how well eCos suits your
application.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com