Re: nested interrupts

>>>>> "Xavier" == Xavier Wang <xavierwang@ms19.url.com.tw> writes:

Xavier> I got confused about nested interrupts. In
Xavier> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/porting/hal-interrupts.html
Xavier> it seems that interrupts are disabled in ISRs, but enabled in
Xavier> DSRs.

Xavier> But Hugo's description in the same page said that
Xavier> higher priority interrupts are enabled before calling
Xavier> ISR. Which is true for nested interrupts?

Both are true, but depending on configuration. There is an option that
allows nested interrupts - when disabled, the former is valid, when
enabled, the latter is valid.

Xavier> If it's the former, should I rewrite the 'hal_cpu_int_enable'
Xavier> macro used in hal_interrupt_stack_call_pending_DSRs (in
Xavier> vector.S) to enable only higher priority interrupts? If it's

No. All interrupts are allowed when executing DSRs. DSRs are only
executin when no interrupts are pending.

Xavier> the latter, what should I do to support nested interrupts?
Xavier> (I'm using TX39/JMR3904 platform, eCos version 1.3.1)

You need code that enabled higher level interrupts depending on the
state of CYGSEM_HAL_COMMON_INTERRUPTS_ALLOW_NESTING.

The code needs to go either somewhere in vectors.S around the place
where the hal_cpu_except_enable macro is called. I don't know if a
variant/platform specific version of that macro would be a suitable
solution. None of the other MIPS platforms allow nested interrupts.

Xavier> Besides, by looking into the source code, it seems that if
Xavier> there is any pending DSRs, no thread will be run. So can a
Xavier> high priority thread be blocked by a low priority interrupt
Xavier> (DSR)?

Yes.

Xavier> Will it introduce some problems for a real-time application?

I guess that depends on how you program the DSRs/threads. But I don't
have anything intelligent to say to that, so I won't.

Jesper