Re: New to multi/embeddedICE

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:19:17PM +0530, Rajeev murthy wrote:

>    i am a bit new to this multiICE environment.i have the
>    insight5.0 debugger and the cross-compiler for ARM7.i want to
>    understand how to go about using the multiICE with JTAG.(i
>    understand that it needs some RDI calls). i think i need to say
>
>   (gdb) target rdi <my parallel device>

The RDI stuff in gdb uses either TCP, serial port,
serial/parallel combination.  I don't believe it's possible to
use just the parallel port, since the RDI stuff in gdb only
uses the parallel port to write stuff to the JTAG box.

>  but what will be the name of the parallel device(a file??)

That depends on your OS installation.  Under Linux it's
typically /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1

>  can i use the same multiICE as an embeddedICE as it is backward
>  compatible(and if gdb doesnt support multiICE as yet).

I don't understant that question.

If you can, try to get it working with just a serial connection
at 9600 baud.  Once you get that working, you can add the
parallel port connection to speed up downloads.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com