problem of ping command in redboot

hi,
    I download a redboot_ROM image into my target (EDB7212),
    and config a static IP for it.
    I also setup up a tftp server in my linux host.
    When I follow the step in document to load a image:
    Redboot> load thread_gdb
    The target replied: can't find address of server
    When I ping the linux host:
    Redboot> ping -h xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    The target replied: can't find address of server xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    But if I ping the target from my linux host,
    the host could found the target, what's wrong?
    Also, if I would like to use serial port to
    load image instead of use ethernet,
    how to do this?

    Thanks in advance
                        Liang Ming-Chung