RE: MBX Board/Redboot

>Anthony> I have Reboot running on my MBX board.  I am able to download
>Anthony> my application code to the board using TFTP.  After I
>Anthony> download the code to RAM, I use the Reboot GO command to
>Anthony> execute the code.  I then see a string output to the serial
>Anthony> port.  I then tried to connect GDB/Insight via the serial
>Anthony> port to the board for debugging.  How then can I do source
>Anthony> level debugging on the board - is it possible?
>
>Yes, but you need to connect to RedBoot via ethernet from GDB and
>download the application from there.

So, just to confirm, I would basically use RedBoot the same way as I would a
build of a
GDB stub.  Except RedBoot gives me the additional feature of being able to
debug via Ethernet.
Right?

I tried a different eCos configuration using the MBX board as a template and
then selecting the net
package (on the template dialog).  I downloaded the srec file using RedBoot
and then ran it.  What I
saw was a string of characters starting with $, then after some delay the
message:

Network stack using 65536 bytes for misc space

came out and then a bunch of unreadable characters.  It almost seemed like I
had the serial port
configured to the wrong baud rate - although I didn't.

>Anthony> I was also wondering with the MBX860 template and the
>Anthony> networking package, do I need to add the Common Ethernet
>Anthony> Support package or is this functionality taken care of with
>Anthony> the QUICC Ethernet package?
>
>You don't need the ethernet support in the application. All the
>necessary bits should be in RedBoot. As far as I know, anyway.

I am trying to get the GoAhead web server running in my application.  I
guess I want to just be able
to use RedBoot to download and debug code (using GDB through RedBoot).  If I
use the networking and
Ethernet drivers in my application will it create a conflict with the
Ethernet drivers in RedBoot - or will my
application still be able to receive its packets and send out the web pages
requested?

If I use the Ethernet port for debugging, can I send and RECEIVE console
commands over the serial port?
(because I know if I debug over the serial port I can't receive any input
from into my console thread)

Thanks - again.