Re: DHCP shuts down Ethernet device?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:27:38PM +0100, Jonathan Larmour wrote:

> > It shuts down everything, deliberately.
> >
> > > I think I'm going to have to either comment out the above call,
> > > or make my Ethernet driver's _stop() method into a noop...
> >
> > Either of those would do.
>
> I'm wondering: isn't the problem just that configuring the
> interface down calls the _stop() method? Why not just not do
> that? The common eth driver already just has eth_drv_recv()
> return immediately if the interface is down. Of course it
> depends where any non-TCP/IP stack is plugging in...

In my case, The non-IP stack hooks into the Ethernet driver at
the same level that the TCP/IP stack does. I decided to change
my _stop() method so that it doesn't shut off the interface, it
just sets a flag so that packets normally passed to the TCP/IP
stack are discarded (this should result in the behvior expected
by the TCP/IP stack).

> It probably shouldn't be the default behaviour admittedly,
> otherwise we're just doing a bunch of interrupt processing for
> no reason in the most common case.

Right.

--
Grant Edwards