Re: Kernel objects and eCos

Neils Nesse wrote:

>     As I understand it the NULL functionality does not exist because eCOS
> isn't smart enough to locate the heap on it's own and so it requires the
> user to create memory pools before it can get at memory.

It's plenty smart enough just to call malloc() and use the default heap. We
don't want to introduce that dependency by default (not all people want to
have heaps). It could well be an option (default disabled), but adding such
a feature would encourage lazy programming and increase the risk of
difficult-to-trace memory leaks. You give the rationale yourself:

> In a Real-time system where the application and the
> kernel are on the same level it is usually preferable to use static
> allocation anyways because you lose the overhead you have with other OS's
> which hide the memory managment completely.

You also lose the accountability of memory usage.

Jifl