RE: RedBoot, Ethernet, MBX860

On 08-May-2001 Anthony Massa wrote:

> After adding the patches and then rebuilding my eCos image, the Ethernet
> seems to be working properly.  I get through the quicc_eth_init routine and
> then I see the output for the DHCP code that correctly receives an IP
> address from my DHCP server.
>
> However, the code always seems to fail at the cyg_libc_time_getzoneoffsets
> routine in time.inl.  I get an Illegal Instruction dialog box that pops up
> in Insight.  After I dismiss the dialog box the code is stopped and will not
> continue to run.
>
> Do you know where this is called from?

At least you're making some progress here.  I'm not sure what the problem is
though.  Perhaps you could send me the executable (privately, not to the list!)
and I'll give it a glance.

> Do you know why it might be failing?  Do I need real-time clock support on
> my MBX board?

No.

> I have seen the $ strings below as well when running from RedBoot.  I have
> been using GDB/Insight to download and run my code.  I haven't been running
> just using RedBoot.  It seems as though there is some confusion as to
> whether the Ethernet port or serial port is to be used for debugging.

This was caused by confusion between the eCos program and the debug environment.
That's what the patches should have fixed.