RE: ROMFS in anoncvs

On 12-Jul-2001 Andrew Lunn wrote:
> Hi Folks
>
> Does the ROMFS code in anoncvs work? I think not?

Absolutely!  It's a big part of our iPAQ demo.

> It appears that the mk_romfs program uses the node.mode with what
> linux returns in stat. This means the root directory i just made has
> mode 042770, which is drwxrws---. But the eCos IS_DIR macro has a
> different idea of what the mode should be. It expects the lower bytes
> to contain the file type.
>
> <sys/stat.h>:
>
>#define __stat_mode_DIR    (1<<0)
>
>#define S_ISDIR(__mode)  ((__mode) & __stat_mode_DIR )
>
> Hence all open() calls fail.

A little harsh;  perhaps open() calls for nested paths fail.

It does look like you are correct about the mode stuff.

> Has something changed here recently? Has anyone run the test program
> that comes with the romfs package.

Actually I never ran it since it can't really be run stand-alone (you need
to build an adequate ROMfs separately and have it installed).

This particular package was contributed and while it does work, at least
for the limited uses we've tried, it may have errors in it.  The two things
I see to be done are:
  * Change 'mk_romfs' to perform some mapping from the host file system modes
    to those used by eCos.
  * Improve the test program so that it can be run automatically, thus allowing
    it to be tested more thoroughly by our test farm.

At this time, I can't say when the eCos team might have time/resources available
to make these improvements.