RE: Misguided error code in net code?

  > On 19-Jul-2001 Trenton D. Adams wrote:
  > > I just ran a test sending a big string from eCos over the network.
My
  > > one end terminated prematurely because I forgot to put in a loop
  > because
  > > my buffer is only 8K.  Anyhow, on the eCos end I got an error of
22
  > > (EINVAL) from send.  I could be wrong, but this seems like a
pretty
  > > weird error when the other end drops the connection.  I would have
  > > expected ECONNRESET.
  > >

  > I disagree - your request sounds pretty "invalid" to me.
  >
  > Honestly, most of this stuff (like what errors get returned when)
come
  > from the standard BSD stack we're using - code that's been out there
for
  > twenty years.  (The numeric values may be different, but the codes
the
  > same)

Although the code may have been around for twenty years, it doesn't make
it right.  Heck, it may even work.  This is very similar to PC BIOS disk
error codes.  There is in fact a valid error of "printer out of paper"
for a disk failure.  And, I have in fact had that error occur when doing
a disk operation.  That doesn't mean that "printer out of paper" is in
fact a really good choice of error codes for disks.