Re: RedBoot with net support

    Ron> In the course of trying to get on latest greatest tools and
    Ron> source I have switched to the anon-cvs source and the config
    Ron> 2.0 tool. I am able to build the default package for a cirrus
    Ron> 7xxx board as well as a cygmon and redboot.

    Ron> I have been trying to recreate the RedBoot Rom monitor with
    Ron> network support which comes with the v1.3 shipment under
    Ron> ../loaders/....

    Ron> When I have selected the Redboot template the Networking
    Ron> options are greyed out and disabled. There is some reference
    Ron> to configuring networking using ecosconfig in an html doc
    Ron> under tcpip/doc. However trying that using configtool gives
    Ron> me the same conflict errors.
    Ron> Target: edb7xxx
    Ron> Template: redboot
    Ron> Added:
    Ron> CYGPKG_NET
    Ron> CYGPKG_IO_ETH_DRIVERS
    Ron> 8 conflict(s):
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGPKG_IO
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGPKG_ISOINFRA
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGINT_ISO_C_TIME_TYPES
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGINT_ISO_STRERROR
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGINT_ISO_ERRNO
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGINT_ISO_ERRNO_CODES
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not satisfied: CYGINT_ISO_MALLOC
    Ron> C CYGPKG_NET, "requires" constraint not
    Ron> satisfied: CYGBLD_ISO_BSDTYPES_HEADER == "<sys/bsdtypes.h>"
    Ron> Trying to build the NET target also fails with some uitron
    Ron> errors. I suspect I've installed or not installed the net
    Ron> package correctly. My questions are:

    Ron> 1) What else needs to be done besides cvs download of networking? does it
    Ron> need to happen in a diff dir?
    Ron> 2) How do I build a Redboot ROM monitor with network support?

There is a misunderstanding here. RedBoot comes with its own little
TCP/IP stack, sufficient for use on a LAN, primarily to support
network debugging. The eCos TCP/IP stack provided by the net package
is a separate entity, intended for general-purpose applications. It
has various dependencies on other parts of the system, hence the
unsatisfied constraints.

Adding the full TCP/IP stack to RedBoot is inappropriate. There could
be confusion because there would now be two TCP/IP stacks inside
RedBoot. It would also significantly increase code size in order to
meet the requirements of the full stack, and for a ROM monitor like
RedBoot a small memory footprint is very desirable.

Instead take a look at the RedBoot sources, specifically the src/net
subdirectory, to find out about RedBoot's built-in networking
functionality.

Bart