Re: Re: Romboot in i386 (continued) - comms. problems

"Alex Lennon" <ajlennon@arcom.co.uk> writes:

> >>RedBoot can only use polled drivers and is not set up to use the "normal"
> >>serial I/O in eCos.
> >>
> >>Perhaps it's just a matter of not using the FIFOs appropriately in the
> >>HAL [diag] polled routines?
>
> Yes - they don't seem to be switched on by default. I decided that if I'm
> going to have to implement ring buffers to handle the FIFOs I might
> as well go the whole hog and try to provide hooks to the 16x5x code.

You shouldn't have to add anything else to the implementation other
than turning on the FIFOs in the hardware in the serial init
routines.

> Is this likely to turn into a time consuming operation do you think? One
> thing I'm concerned about is that IDTs are a bit of at unknown at the
> moment to me. I kind of assumed eCos got these set up correctly
> so that I wouldn't have to ?

Again, you should not have to worry about any of this. Redboot should
not be using interrupts, and the existing serial code will work fine,
and keep up with the baud rate, once the FIFOs are enabled.

--
Nick Garnett, eCos Kernel Architect
Red Hat, Cambridge, UK