Re: Port problem

On 17-Aug-2001 Cristiano Ligieri Pereira wrote:

> Hi again!
>
> I don't know whether my previous question made no sense or if it was too
> simple... since I've got no answer. :-|
>
> I'm working on the port of an XScale based platform. So far I have done a
> reasonable progress (in my opinion...) but now I'm kind of stuck. :(
>
> I started the port copying the IQ80310 and modifying it's files since both
> platforms are quite different (except the processor, obviously). Then the
> next thing I did was to clean up the macro PLATFORM_SETUP1 so that the
> specific IQ80310 initializations were removed and the specific
> initializations of my platform were inserted (those I got from CygMon
> source code). After this I've changed the memory map (that I actually sent
> to this list yesterday) so that I have RAM at 0x0.

You built this CygMon yourself?  If so, what was the source code base?

Note: we really only support RedBoot on the XScale, not CygMon.

> After this I've been trying two things: load a Hello World eCos
> application configured to execute on RAM (by means of GDB/Cygmon) and load
> RedBoot configured to execute at RAM as well. For both I load the
> application at the original RAM address (since for cygmon this is still
> the RAM memory address) and for both I'm executing the code in
> PLATFORM_SETUP1, which remaps the memory.
>
> When I try to execute the Hello World application the code crashes when
> calling diag_printf function in the main body. For the RAM/RedBoot code it
> is crashing when cleaning the BSS (I've checked the addresses I'm hitting
> and they fall within the original memory addresses 0xC0000000).

This tells me that you may have a memory mapping problem.

eCos programs expect the memory map to be somewhat different than the hardware
map.  Most particularly, DRAM gets moved to 0x00000000 and the FLASH at 0
gets moved around as well.  On some XScale platforms, this is even trickier,
but the basic idea is the same.

> how should I do about the serial communication with the host? Can I reuse
> the communication already established with CygMon? Do I need to break it
> and restart a new connection?

No.

> Am I on the right track? I was feeling good about it till two days
> ago. But now that I'm stuck I getting frustrated instead. :-|

I think you should look into getting RedBoot working as your base debug
environment.