Problem with mounting root filesystem through NFS

Hi,
    I customised the 2.4.7-...devfs kernel from handhelds.org cvs to include
bootp, rarp, dhcp and nfs root filesystem on boot. I get the kernel compiled
and put it in the host thin client server pc /tftpboot/192.168.1.2 directory
(192.168.1.2 is the thin client's bootp address and 192.168.1.1 is the thin
client server's ip address).
    Then I boot to redboot. Redboot got its ip and server's ip thru bootp.
In redboot, I loaded the kernel onto the ipaq's RAM at 0x100000. Then I
executed the kernel with the following commandline.

    "exec -b 0x100000 -l 0x14c9a4 -c "noinitrd root=/dev/nfs ip=bootp"

    I used root=/dev/nfs as stated in the nfsroot.txt under the kernel
source documentation.
    The kernel executed successfully but couldn't find the root fs and
panicked with the following error message.

    VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or 00:ff
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:ff

    Apparently, the kernel don't know where to get the root fs. But I
thought I set the "ip=bootp" and it should send bootp request to the server
to get the parameters. But I don't see such requests on the console.
    I also tried by explicitly setting the ip and nfsroot values for the
kernel in -c option but the result is the same.

    Can anyone help me?

Rgds
Yee Peng