Re: ethernet driver package idea

Bart Veer wrote:

>     Trenton> One more thing. You might want to do what I've done
>     Trenton> below. It's a little nicer using a drop down box than a
>     Trenton> text box for selection of the ethX device name!
>
>     Trenton>    cdl_option CYGDAT_ETHDRV_NAME {
>     Trenton>        display       "Name to use for this network device"
>     Trenton>        flavor        data
>     Trenton>           legal_values {"\"eth0\"" "\"eth1\""}
>     Trenton>        default_value { (1 == CYGHWR_NET_DRIVERS) ? "\"eth0\"" :
>     Trenton> "\"eth1\"" }
>     Trenton>        description "
>     Trenton>            The name of this network device for control purposes.
>     Trenton>        "
>     Trenton>    }
>
> This would prevent the user from calling the device something other
> than eth0 or eth1, effectively restricting the system to just two
> ethernet devices. It is possible to have more than that, although at
> present only eth0 and eth1 can be easily configured via the
> configuration tool - any additional ones require effort at the
> application level. I would prefer users to still have the flexibility
> to call their network devices anything they want to, even if this
> involves a bit more complexity in the user interface.

I'm not sure this is a reasonable concern given the hardwiring of the
interface names in init_all_network_interfaces(). We should be able to do
better here, but it's more than a few minutes work. Volunteers?

But in any case I think it's irrelevant for the case in hand - the cs8900
is on-board all the time, and any PC cards won't be, implying the cs8900
should always be eth0 on the edb7xxx, and any optional card eth1, and not
the other way round. I don't know why Trenton would want it to be more
changeable than that. If Trenton wants to just swap them, I'd recommend he
just hack it. I still don't think it's an appropriate default for others.

It'll be more fun when we have more than one non-permanently attached
device.

Jifl