build redboot from the source code

Hi,

I am trying to build the redboot for the EB40 board.
( I know I can get the redboot elf file directly, but since I will add more
functions to redboot,  I need to build the redboot again from the source
code).
I downloaded the sourde code from ecos respository, and tried to use the
arm-elf-gdb and arm-elf-ld to get the exe file. After changed the source
code
a little bit, the exe file was created successfully. But after downloading
the code into EB40 board, I could not build the connection by using minicom.
I was wondering whether I need to configure the source file. Any idea what's
happening here? It will be highly appreciated if you could give me more
information
about this. Thanks

Shaojie