How to handle lack of builtin operator new for newer GCCs?

I would like to ask what the plans or workarounds for the use
of operator new in the eCos libraries for GCCs without builtin_new.

Some source files like fopen.cxx use 'operator new' which gcc 2.95.* will
convert
to __builtin_new.

Newer GCCs (3.0.1 for example) don't seem to have __builtin_new anymore and
expect operator new to come from libstdc++. In particular if I try
to build a binary using fopen and GCC3 it complains about the lack of
operator new.

Cheers
Richard Chan <cshihpin@dso.org.sg>