RE: Redboot network setup

Patch attached.

And changelog Entry:

2001-09-13  Fabrice Gautier <Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com>

        * cdl/redboot.cdl, src/net_io.c: added configurations options to
deactivate
        BOOTP and to enable net debug.

That said i have a few questions about the networking in Redboot because I
have some problem with it. I'm using the ARM Integrator beta port so maybe
the problem is with the ethernet driver.

The problem is when i launch Redboot with static IP adress, I can't ping
redboot from my host. However If I use the ping command in redboot, then, If
i'm lucky i can ping from the host.

I activated the net_debug options in Redboot and used an ethernet analyzer.
It appears that Redboot never respond to the ARP request from the host.

Actually, and correct me if I'm wrong, since Redboot networking is based on
polling the ethernet interface, this is quite logical. Redboot will not by
itself poll for ethernet packet until I launch the ping command.

The other thing is that once I launched the ping command in redboot, Redboot
seems to dies some times after. I can see the debug output but I don't have
any ping replys (the ethernet analyzer doesn't see any arp or ping request
from redboot, only the ping replys if i'm lucky)

Also, it appears that I've more luck when I disconnected my host and my
target from the rest of the network. (This is a network with a lot of
windows machine, so there is quite a bit of broadcasts and i guess this
causes more packet lost for Redboot).

To be honest, I'm still wondering how the polling method can works...

--
Fabrice Gautier,
Fabrice_Gautier@sdesigns.com

redboot.diff