This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the eCos project.
Re: RedBoot and other companies OS products
- To: Gregg C Levine <drwho8 at worldnet dot att dot net>
- Subject: Re: [ECOS] RedBoot and other companies OS products
- From: Jonathan Larmour <jlarmour at redhat dot com>
- Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 21:18:09 +0100
- Cc: ecos - discuss <ecos-discuss at sourceware dot cygnus dot com>
- Organization: Red Hat UK Ltd.
- References: <001301c13e75$e82c5600$3460fea9@who>
Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine normally with Jedi Knight Computers
> I suppose I should really read the faq for this list, but here goes with my
> question: Can RedBoot be used to boot a product such as Lineo's Embedix?
> They use lilo for the job, I suppose it's Linux thing, but for my use, I
> want have RedBoot do the booting of the product.
(Assuming this is x86)
Yes it can be done, although you must still have a BIOS - no-one has so far
been willing to fund a version of RedBoot that can boot Linux with no BIOS,
even though it should be comparitively easy.
But you would need to add an implementation of the "exec" command.
Red Hat, Rustat House, Clifton Road, Cambridge, UK. Tel: +44 (1223) 271062
Maybe this world is another planet's Hell -Aldous Huxley || Opinions==mine