Re: build redboot for AT91FR408

Shaojie Wu wrote:

> 1. what are  the  procedures  to modify  redboot  and
> run it on a custom-built board? (is there any documentation
> talking about that?)

Porting RedBoot is virtually the same as porting eCos. You can look at the
(unfinished) porting guide at http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/docs-latest/
but generally the thing to do is copy the existing HAL and update the
things that are different. In particular, things like the memory layout,
MMU setup, and RAM setup. I think the AT91 has on-chip serial, so you don't
have to worry about porting that.

The alternative is, of course, to contract someone like Red Hat to do the
work for you and give you something fully tested that works with reliable
tools, sources, device drivers, etc.....

> 3. without the support of redboot,  are there any other ways
> to use eCos on a custom-built board? ( I found for most of
> the test programs generated by eCos do need the redboot
> to run)

We have examples of using an "alien" ROM monitor to run eCos applications.
Or you could build your eCos applications for ROM startup, and only port
the minimum required to do that, although frankly that's most of what's
needed for a RedBoot port anyway.

Jifl