Confused at redboot.bin and redboot.elf...

Hi, I'm a newbie in eCos. I am confused at the relationship between the
prebuilt RedBoot binaries for i386: redboot.bin and redboot.elf.  After
I dd' the redboot.bin file to floppy, I can boot the target PC with
floppy and the RedBoot prompt is shown. I'm wondering if redboot.bin
alone boots the PC, then what is redboot.elf for? Are these prebuilt
binaries able to do remote debug with GDB?

2. If I want to make a bootable floppy with the eCos TCP/IPnet package,
what are the procedures from creating a new template to uploading the
image? I've read the mailing list and someone said : to make a bootable
floppy, one should choose the 'stubs' option and then add packages
required while creating a template. However, I can never make it
successfully compiled.  If what I want is to be able to remotely debug
the image on my PC target with GDB, then what options should I select in
the Configuration Tool?

Thank you very much.
David