Re: how to choose the package and the multi-thread

kiki w wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be highly appreciated if any one could give me
> some information for the following questions:
>
> 1. I am trying to write code for a custome board,
> but I find that the execuable code generated by
> using eCOS is very big, normally it willl be around
> 1 Mbytes, since we do not have such a large ROM
> to store it.

You do know that file sizes are not related to real sizes. Do get the real
size use TARGET-elf-size <executable> e.g. arm-elf-size hello
The ROM size would be the sum of the text and data columns.

> My question is: in order to make the
> application code as small as possible,  How can I
> choose the package to be installed when configuring
> eCos( I only want the kernel and multi-threads
> supported).

Use the configuration tool to add and remove packages. There are also
plenty of options to configure within the packages.

> 2. I know a lot functions of eCos  need
> the redboot running on the board, my question is:
> if I only want to use the kernel and muiti-threads
> functions of eCos, do I have to port redboot on
> our board?

No, you can build eCos applications to run directly from ROM. That's all
RedBoot is - an eCos applicatino built to run from ROM.

> if I only include the "uitron" package,
> will it support multi-threads?

You need the kernel package as well - the uitron package uses it.

Jifl