Re: a puzzle

On Sat, 2001-11-10 at 02:18, kiki w wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was confused for a long time by a question. I search
> the discussion board and found a lot of people who has
> trouble in building a standalone program (ROM version)
> from the RAM version normally has the redboot running
> on the board while developing the code.
> Since a standalone program is my final goal, if I only
> need the kernel to handle the interrupts, exceptions,
> threads and timers, etc.  Do I still need to port the
> redboot on a custom board? In other words, without the
> redboot(or any other debugger) running on my board, do
> those functions (such as cyg_thread_create() ,
> cyg_interrupt_create,  cyg_counter_create,
> cyg_exception_set_handler() ) work? If they do work,
> which packages I should choose in my case to build the
> library, is only kernel package enough?
>
> Actually, without the redboot running on the board, I
> wrote some code using cyg_thread_create() function and
> the code does work. Does it mean I can use all the
> functions of kernel without porting redboot? If I am
> right, then what kinds of functions do need the
> support of redboot?
>
> Also, for the  debugging purpose, I  have to include
> GDB stubs in my app, will it be an potential problem
> for building a standalone program from Ram version?
> Thanks so much, any recommendations and ideas will be
> highly appreciated! Help me please.

What you've stumbled across is the first way that eCos
programs were ever developed and deployed!

Of course there is no need for RedBoot in your target
environment.  You need not even "port" it to your target
board (although you'll find that if you have full eCos
ported to that board, you can build RedBoot immediately :-)

As for the GDB stubs - there is no problem building a ROM
based application which includes them.  In fact, that's
all that RedBoot is - a ROM based eCos application which
includes GDB stubs (and a bunch of other tools useful for
the development [and even deployed] environment)