Re: Adding Ethernet support for Redboot on the E7T

Chris Garry <chris_garry@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> --- Simon <simoncc@ms46.url.com.tw> wrote:
> > I think using redboot via serial is better solution and I
> > do not recommand doing that via ethernet.
> > 'Cause it's a little bit complex to set up the development
> > environment.
> > And it's a little bit strange behavior appeared on redboot
> > I ever found.
> > So serial port is nice and enough.
> >
> > Simon
>
> Thanks for that Simon.
>
> What does everyone else on the list think about this?  Is
> it worth bothering with ethernet support in Redboot?

It depends on the size of the applications you need to download. For an
application of about 2Mb, I prefer to load it via Ethernet rather than
serial. You can configure your application to include the GDB stubs and make it
call the breakpoint() function where appropriate (such as at the beginning or
from the assert macro). You load it from RedBoot via Ethernet, start it and then
connect to the GDB stub via serial to debug it.

Robin