Re: Problem about GNU tool

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:15:33PM -0000, HuangQiang wrote:

> arm-elf-objcopy -O binary a.out b
> // got binary file b
>
> arm-elf-size b
>
> output: File format not recognized.
>
> (Is that binary file format is support by all the GNU tools? why it is all
> right in arm-elf-objcopoy while not in arm-elf-size?)

arm-elf-size tells you the sizes of the different sections in
an object file.  A binary file has no sections.  What do you
want arm-elf-size to tell you?  If you want to know how many
bytes are in the file, you can use "ls -l".

> BTW what I am trying to do is to see the section size of the
> final output binary file,

Binary files don't have sections, so the asking for section
size is not meaningful.

> to see whether it is ok to be put into rom (size problem).)

If your linker script is set up correctly, you should get a
linker error if the allowed memory sizes are exceeded.

--
Grant Edwards
grante@visi.com