From: Jesper Skov [mailto:jskov@redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 5:15 PM
To: felixwong@i-technologies.cc
Cc: eCos Discuss
Subject: Re: [ECOS] Proposed idea for eCos debug/development user
interface.

On Wed, 2001-12-12 at 08:12, felixwong@i-technologies.cc wrote:
> My suggestion is : shall we place some effort in making a GRAPHICAL DISPLAY
> /INPUT interface using the serial ports (like some predefined protocols /packet
> commands), that will show the output graphically on you developing/compiling
> computer (such as you PC or MAC).

Knock yourself out!

I doubt anybody would be interested in using a graphical interface
communicating over serial though.

If you have a board that's worth putting graphics processing on, you can
probably run Linux (and thus X applications on your host computer's
display).

The only half-serious use of graphics on an eCos target, driven via
*serial*, would be by employing a web server. Then the host can access
the target's "GUI" by a simple browser. HTML transport is cheap compared
to a bitmapped graphics GUI.  And people use HTML via serial every
day...

So in summary: what you are after is a web server, tied in with your
application. There's already a web server available for eCos (I don't
have the link handy, sorry), and I'm sure it's open source so you can do
the necessary hackery to merge it into your application needs.

Jesper