PC Booting

I am currently looking at operating systems for my application which will
(hopefully ) be ported to ARM, SH and PC platforms.  I would favour an open
source solution and have been looking at eCos.

With regard to the PC platform, I am having trouble with the following
question:  How does a PC application boot?  I have found instructions for
using RedBoot off of a floppy, but how do I boot from a hard disk - or
preferably an M-Systems DiskOnChip?  What is the standard way of booting PC
applications for release?

I found some postings regarding DiskOnChip dating back to the summer of
2000 - has anybody used DOC with eCos.  If not, could anybody point me at
any resources that would give me information on what would be involved in
writing a driver (I want to use the DOC for booting and storing parameters).

Any information greatly received,
Regards, Richard.