subject changed to: 82559+pc network problems

Thanks for responding, Patrick. I was starting to think
along these lines last night on my way home. I just
presumed that the MAC address would be set correctly,
but of course those kind of presumptions can make one
blind to the problem. Your comments reinforce my thoughts.

Since it works under Redboot, I know that it is at least
capable of behaving correctly. Possibly when the interface
is re-initialized when Ecos comes up, it breaks this.

I will study the 82559 driver code, in particular where
the MAC address is set. I presumed that the same 82559
driver code is used whether I compile for Redboot or Ecos. I
will confirm this. I will pay particular attention to any
#ifdef ...REDBOOT... as these might give me a clue.

I've printed the relevant portions of the 82559 data sheet,
and I will study them.

Ideally, I'd probe the chip and ask it to tell me how its
set up. Hopefully this code exists, otherwise I'll try to
implement it. There is something like a "get mac address"
ioctl command, hopefully this fits the bill.

Thanks again,
Michael