Re: versioned directory paths

    >> For CVS, which is how most of you get your sources,its all
    >> pritty useless. I think the original idea was to have many more
    >> 'official releases' like 1.3.1 and the up comming 2.0. If this
    >> happened say every two months and people used them instead of
    >> anonCVS, the version numbers would be usefull. Since its been 2
    >> years between 1.3.1 and 2.0, everyone has been using anonCVS
    >> and so the versions have become pointless.

Correct. The delay between 1.3.1 and 2.0 has been much longer than was
intended, which is unfortunate in many respects.

    >> The documentation does go into some of these details. There are
    >> quite a few powerful features which are simply not used.

    Mike> I must have missed that in the docs.

A good place to look is chapter 2 of the Component Writer's Guide. It
may be worth noting that the current tools do not necessarily allow
users to fully and easily exploit the flexibility provided by
versioned packages - although there is some support. Never the less
the versioning scheme has been in place since the beginning, so that
as the tools evolve there is no need for everybody to completely
reorganize their repositories. We cannot plan ahead for every future
eventuality, but we can try.

    Mike> I'm still curious to know how the directory names are
    Mike> changed during the process of "releasing". Is this a part of
    Mike> the "make install" equivalent, or is it an internal RedHat
    Mike> process?

It is done by the release process which, for now, is internal to Red
Hat. It involves a convoluted mixture of scripts with dependencies on
specific release machines etc., and in its current form is really not
suitable for external distribution. I would like this to change in
future, but there are other things to work on that would be more
useful for more users.

Bart