Re: PowerPC SMC serial port drivers.

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:47, Erik Reikes wrote:
> I've got a bit of confusion on the allocation of serial ports on the MPC860
> PowerPC processor.
>
> A little background :
> I am using an A&M Viper board to test out some software that is to run on
> Ecos.  I am using the Redboot that was supplied by A&M in flash.  It
> defaults to what they are calling serial port 2 but is really hooked up to
> SMC1.  It appears to me that the other serial port (what they are calling
> port 1) is hooked up to SCC port 1.
>
> I found a couple of messages relating to a port of the SCC for use as a UART
> on the diag channel a while back.  Did this code ever get rolled into the
> CVS tree for Ecos?  If so, is there a configuration option I am missing that
> enables it?  If not was there a reason it didn't?

No, although there has been talk of supporting SCCx ports, we've never received
any contributions in this area.  At this time, SCCx is not supported, sorry.

> I have a need for the extra serial port, so I may just have to write/modify
> a driver to talk to it.

It shouldn't be too hard.

> I suppose my other option is to get the ethernet debugging going and use
> SMC1 as my data port.  It seems my DHCP server doesn't respond to the bootp
> requests from redboot, but I haven't tried very hard to figure this one out
> yet.

The network should work fine (it does for me).  One thing you can do to avoid
messing with DHCP/BOOTP is to use 'fconfig' and set a static IP address.