Re: Cannot communicate with RedBoot on Viper board

On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 09:43, Paul Randall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just purchased a A&M Viper board and I am having trouble communicating
> with RedBoot.
>
> I am connected to Serial Port 2 (SMC1) on the Viper and I'm using
> Windows 98 HyperTerminal to communicate with the board.  I'm running
> with the data rate set to 38400 bits per second, 8 data bits, no parity,
> and one stop bit as instructed by the RedBoot documentation.  I have
> flow control turned off.  A&M tech support told me I should see a '+'
> when RedBoot starts up, but I don't get any response at all.  A&M has
> assured me that RedBoot was installed on my board.
>
> When I plug in the Viper, green LEDs D3 and D4 both light up as does LED
> D7.  A&M support suggested I press the reset switches and look for the
> '+' but all that happens is LED D8 turns on for a fraction of a second
> before LED D7 turns back on.
>
> Has anyone seen similar problems with the Viper?  Any suggestions?

Are you sure you are using the correct port (serial port 2)?  The settings
are indeed 38400/8N1, no handshake.  Perhaps you have a problem with Tx/Rx
wiring?

When the LED changes from D8 to D7, the basic initialization is complete and
RedBoot starts to use the on-board DRAM.  It should [almost] immediately
print '+' on the serial port.