Re: SRESET to PowerPC 8260

I do not believe that it is possible to assert the SRESET signal from
software, but there may be alternatives.  I am writing this off the top of
my head without checking the details, so there may be huge holes in the logic.

1) You could use the Software watchdog reset.  I have not done this, but
enable the Software watchdog reset (at system reset, I think) and when the
exception happens, do what you need to do and then stop servicing the
watchdog timer.  When it counts down to zero, your reset happens.

2) Configure the MSR to go into checkstop state on a machine exception, and
Configure the RMR to assert a reset when you enter the checkstop state.
Then do something to deliberately generate a machine exception.

If you get this to work, let me know.  It would be useful.

At 04:51 PM 4/12/02 +0530, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>     I want to generate a SRESET to my MPC8260 ADS board from software.
>     The goal is whenever an exception happens log the exception type and
>go for a reboot.
>
>     Just a
>         b _start  instruction in the exception handler is not working.
>     Any cleanup required before giving this instruction ?
>
>thanx in advance,
>regards
>
>--
>!============================================================================!
>= Suresh N., Research Engineer, C-DoT, Bangalore.                            =
>= Call me at : OFF: 2383951(Dir) / 2263399 (268)  RES: 3334248               =
>= Alternate email :  nsur_mys@rediffmail.com                                 =
>= QOT: For fast-acting relief, try slowing down.                             =
>

>--
>Before posting, please read the FAQ: http://sources.redhat.com/fom/ecos

Paul Fine
Senior Member of Technical Staff