Re: Multiplatform

On Mon, 2002-04-29 at 12:29, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 07:58:55PM +0200, Alfredo wrote:
>
> > Do you know if it¡äs possible to have simultaneously
> > formed the tools of GNU for two different platforms?
>
> You need a seperate build of the toolchain for each target
> architecture.  However, you can have as many different
> toolchains installed as you want.
>
> > In other words , I want to be able to generate binary for i386
> > and for also for POWERPC. If I have yet configured it for i386,
> > can I attempt to configure it for POWERPC?, or the compiler
> > will become a mess?
>
> You'll need a toolchain for each of the two target architectures.
>
> This is not a problem if you install the toolchains in
> architecture-specific directories and/or use architecture
> specific filenames (this is the default when
> building/installing cross tools).

This works just fine.  Here's how I build toolchains myself:
  % mkdir arm_tools
  % cd arm_tools
  % SRC/configure --target=arm-elf --prefix=/opt/ecos_tools
  % make;make install
  % cd ..

  % mkdir ppc_tools
  % cd ppc_tools
  % SRC/configure --target=powerpc-eabi --prefix=/opt/ecos_tools
  % make;make install

You'll end up with a directory "/opt/ecos_tools/bin" which is
populated with arm-elf-XXX as well as powerpc-eabi-XXX tools.