PC STARTUP OPTIONS

Hello all,

	I've been wanting to make some changes on the PC platform that would
improve the loading formats.  Currently, we have STARTUP_FLOPPY and
STARTUP_RAM, STARTUP_ROM isn't really finished yet.  The FLOPPY option
can only load a image into the lower 1 Meg of RAM, while the RAM version
can only load above 1 Meg.

	First, it would be nice if we could load a image to any location via the
FLOPPY.  The FLOPPY code is in real mode so it isn't possible. So, I am
proposing that we add a RELOCATE section to the startup code.
The relocate section would switch into protect mode, relocate the code,
and then jump to the new code area.  The relocate code will check the
current execution address against the _start address.  If they differ,
the relocation code will move the image to the _start address.

	Having a relocate section could solve several problems.  First, it would
make it possible to load an image to the upper 1 meg.  Second, it would
make ROMRAM possible. Lastly, the relcate code would be the first set in
making a REDBOOT flash option possible on the PC platform.

	Would anyone be interested in this change?  I could probably have this
working in a few days.  Any takers?

Thanks,

Steve

--