Re: What to do with the build

> Ranjith P Antony wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As per your advice I insatlled the TCL interpreter in the cygwin, which
> is running on my XP machine. Then i ran the build and tests for my i386
> PC target with floppy disk startup option. I did the following things to
> run the build in the configuration tool.
>
> 1. Build -> Templates -> Target -> i386 PC target
> 2.         -> Templates -> Packages -> default
> 3. Build -> Library
> 4. Build -> Test
>
> After step 3, i got "Build finished" and after step 4, i got Test
> finished. So, i assume that I have build my source correctly for i386 PC
> target.
>
> Earlier i have set ready a desktop computer booted with the RedBoot
> startup floppy. I have connected that desktop with my desktop using a
> null cable connection.
>
> Now let me ask some basic questions.
>
> 1. How will i transfer the build to my target PC {I guess the target pc
> should be the one that i have booted with the Redboot floppy}. When ever
> i ask this question, i get an answer that you can transfer it using gdb.
> But from my basic experience as a programmer, there should be a server
> process listening at the Redboot PC end, before i start the gdb client
> process from my XP machine. How will i initiate the "server process" in
> the Redboot machine, before i connect to that machine from my XP machine.
> I would appreciate if i could get a step by step procedure to ensure
> this.

RedBoot _is_ the server process! You can connect via GDB with something
like:

arm-elf-gdb testexe
set remote baud 38400
target remote com1           <-- or whatever com port is connected to
load
b cyg_test_exit
cont

There are other ways to load programs though in RedBoot. You could upload
using X-modem or Y-modem for example. Or if you have a supported network
card, TFTP.

> 2. Suppose i transferred the build from my XP machine to the Redboot
> machine using the serial port connection. Then can i say that now, i have
> a Desktop loaded with eCos operating system. I would appreciate if i can
> ensure this by typing few commands like "ls" in the command prompt of
> eCos, if there is anything like that.

There's no command prompt in eCos - it's a deeply embedded system. There
isn't much point having a command prompt as the operating system has no
idea what you would be using it for - many systems don't have a file system
for example.

> PS: I am not able to send mails to ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com. I am
> getting an error saying that unsupported MIME type: text/html. I tried
> with plain text also. Still my experience is same.

http://www.harley.com/turn-off-html/
http://php.iupui.edu/~rallen/encoding.html
http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/posting.htm

Jifl