Atmel EB40A eval board SRAM confusion

I just got an EB40A (not EB40) board.  According to the docs the onboard
SRAM is not there by default from the factory - only footprints in which to
add your own.  However, mine has two Alliance AS7C34096 (512Kx8) srams
on board.  Lucky?  Not sure sure.  They are supposedly mapped to
0x02000000, but gdb gives "RDI_read: data abort, no memory at specified
address?" error.

I did a sanity check with gdb to be sure it was working and was able to
read/write to the PIO registers to turn the LEDs on and off.  Obviously
the eCOS EB40 target.ld _should_ work since it is trying to load the
image at 0x02000000 but I get an RDI_write error when I initially load
an image.  I'm using Angel right now, I haven't attempted RedBoot yet.

I've emailed Atmel asking about the SRAM, but I was wondering if anyone
else on the list has the EB40A and has working SRAM on board.  Is there
anything else I can try to get access to the SRAM?  Has anyone with the
EB40 had same or similar problems?

-tim