From: brenner joel [mailto:joel.brenner@tchip.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 11:46 AM
To: James.Harris@tekelek.com.au
Cc: ecos-discuss@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: [ECOS] FAT16 for eCos

James.Harris@tekelek.com.au wrote:

>Hi Joel,
>
>I am just about to start on a CompactFlash data logger and will be using
>FAT12/16 formatting.
>I am not familiar with the term "MultiMediaCard" (I'm new to flash cards).
>CompactFlash cards have IDE interface logic on them. SmartMedia cards have
>contacts like a mobile phone SIM card that simply contains a couple of
>flash dies.
>Is the MultiMediaCard you speak of a CompactFlash or SmartMedia card or
>
>something else?

A MultiMediaCard (digital cameras and MP3 players often uses MMC cards)
is similar to SmartMedia but have a serial interface witch make it
a good solution for high capacity storage device for small uC based systems.
The 3
wire interface can be used in two manners: SPI communication or MMC protocol
communication.
The first one reaches 1 Mb/S the seccond one 20 Mb/S but requires a
dedicated interfacing
component witch at the moment isn't available, so you have to implement it
on a FPGA or
emulating it by SW. The next generation of MultiMediaCards are called SD
Cards.

>I have started looking around for FAT12/16 code. According to the FAT spec
>(from the MicroSoft website) a lot of code out there works but is broken in
>common ways.
>I'd also be interested in an eCos FAT12/16 driver if you manage to find
>one, and I'll let you know if I do find one first.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James

If I find one I'll send it you, but I think that there aren't. You can find
an example of FAT12/16/32
at http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/fat.html