RE: malloc vs. new

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Scott Dattalo wrote:

<snip>

I fixed my memory problem.

It turns out that my application is big. It's too big to fit into the
memory footprint provided bythe At91EB40 evaluation board. I know in the
future that I will be putting the application in different hardware, but
I'm using the eCos configuration that's available for the EB40. To make a
long story short, the memory foot print is defined for the AT91EB40 in
here:

ecos/packages/hal/arm/at91/current/include/pkgconf/

The RAM size is 0x80000. To work around this, I made a backup of pkgconf/
and changed all references of 0x80000 to 0x200000 and that works!

I know that one shouldn't go around trampling on the ecos sources in such
a way. But, what is the preferred way to change the memory foot print?
Should I create a new cdl for my hardware based on (say) the arm/at91/ and
edit those hardware-specific changes? It doesn't appear that fundamental
configuration such as this can be changed in ecos.ecc. (You *can* change
the size of the memalloc heap, but you can't make it bigger than the
memory footprint that's defined in pkgconf/, AFAICT).

Scott