Re: TCP stack not delaying/piggybacking ACKs?

On Mon, 2002-07-08 at 17:16, Grant Edwards wrote:

> I'm working with an application that exchanges a continuous
> stream of data with a host.  Each sends a TCP packet full of
> data every 10ms or so.
>
> The eCos stack is not delaying/piggybacking ACKs, so the eCos
> app is sending roughly twice as many packets as it needs to.
> [I'm running out of CPU throughput, and cutting the number of
> TCP packets sent by 50% would really help]. The other end
> (Linux host) never sends a lone ACK, since there's never more
> than 10ms between data packets. This is an eCos CVS snapshot
> from a while back (early 2001).
>
> Have others noticed this behavior?
>
> Has it been fixed?

This has never been mentioned before.  Which is not to say that
it's working properly :-)

A couple of things to try:
  * The new OpenBSD stack.  This would require updating to the
    latest CVS.
  * There may be a flag/switch in the FreeBSD stack (the one you
    are using) which controls this, but it would require some time
    to investigate.

How are you testing this (creating such an environment)?  Perhaps
a simple setup can be created which exhibits the behaviour and then
we can look into why (and how to fix it)