Re: Question about ecos server performance

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:54:38PM -0700, NavEcos wrote:
> I have a customer that is interested in running eCos as an embedded
> server.  He asked me how well eCos would handle up to1000
> simultaneous IP (both TCP and UDP) connections and I couldn't
> answer his question.
>
> Does anybody have similar experience?  For example a webserver or
> a file server being under high stress with eCos at the core?

To me eCos seems a strange choice. Something that can support 1000
connections, is probably going to have a lot of memory and a fast
processor. A linux based system sounds more appropriate. I would talk
to your customer and find out more about the application.

The stacks are unix stacks, so should handle these number of
connections. You will have to fiddle with the configuration a bit. Few
embedded system need more than 32 sockets etc and each on takes
memory. The default configuration will not support 1000. Select only
supports 256 sockets, but that is a compile time option. The total
number of file descriptors will also need expanding, but that again is
a configuration option. I expect there are others which you won't find
till you try it.

With some work, it should run. We run our devices at high CPU load
without a problem, so that should also not be a problem either.

        Andrew