Re: beginner question

On Tuesday 13 August 2002 00:39, taraben.a@wige-data.de wrote:
> After reading all the documents it seems to me that in eCos a
> application is linked to the OS (eCos).
> Does that mean that under eCos is only ONE proccess runnable??
>
> Thanks for clarification.
>
> Adib.

No, eCos supports multiple processes (actually tasks)

Unlike many other embedded OSes those, the application is linked
directly to the kernel.  This has the advantage that it's a little
faster, since you don't have to do software interrupts or have vector
tables like you often have to with other embedded OSes and you
only have to put the functions of the OS you use on the target.

The disadvantage is that if you want to upgrade boxes in the field,
you need to send a larger image and sometimes you need larger
flash or eeprom as a result.

-Rich